Featured Job: Senior Director @ Special Olympics
July 5, 2016 | Posted in:Job Posting
Special Olympics is seeking a Senior Director – Global Health Programs in Washington, DC.
· Lead all annual operational planning efforts for the health program and co-lead multi-year strategic planning efforts. At certain intervals, this may include conducting stakeholder meetings to identify priorities, programming, indicators, and targets;
· Oversee implementation of operational plans for Health to fulfill the targets laid out in the strategic and annual operational plans, as well as in approved proposals to major funders of the program.
· Lead a global team of headquarters and regional staff in implementing annual plans, including 3 direct report staff (Director of Healthy Athletes, Director of Healthy Communities, Department Manager/Administrator) 13 indirect reports, functional indirect supervision of staff in other departments funded by the Health Department budget, and a team of 13 part time Global Clinical Advisors.
o This includes direct or indirect supervision, as well as recruitment, hiring, training, running staff meetings and ensuring strong team communication, fostering professional development, recognition, and mentoring responsibilities and ensuring that each team member can contribute meaningfully to the department’s (and SOI’s) goals;
o This also includes close collaboration with regional teams to set realistic programmatic targets that contribute towards SOI’s global targets for health , to select and support Special Olympics Programs to implement activities, and document local activities and expenditures;
o Finally, this includes monitoring and reporting of activities and supporting the health team in achieving targets, while balancing new and sometimes conflicting priorities;
· Work with Finance to develop and oversee the health department cash and in-kind budget, ensure that funds are fully spent in compliance with donor intent and SOI financial policies and procedures, and ensure timely and complete reporting to funders of current programming;
· Collaborate with the Global Development and Government Relations (GDGR), Research & Development (R&D), and Global Clinical Advisor teams, as well as outside partners as appropriate, to engage and train governments and NGOs in providing inclusive policies, funding, and programming for those with ID. This includes:
o Co-developing and implementing a strategy for creating a tipping point in which people with intellectual disabilities have the same access to, and quality of, health care and wellness prevention services as others in their countries;
o assisting in the identification, engagement, training and consulting of key health influencers;
o leading cross functional integration team meetings to monitor progress and identify areas for collaboration and support;
· Provide operational support to the Healthy Athletes and Healthy Communities team, for instance, providing direct oversight of key Healthy Communities that are of strategic importance or where a high level of diplomacy is required;
· Collaborate with the R&D team to implement quality assurance and evaluation activities and make evidence-based programmatic improvements, bring new programming in development to scale; and support internal and external dissemination of evidence-based practices and innovative approaches;
· Collaborate with the Communications team to improve internal communications, raise awareness among the international community about the health needs of people with ID, and better capture and share promising Special Olympics Program practices with Headquarters and with other Programs in the field;
· Support the Games Organizing Committees for major events, such as World and Regional Games, in implementing health and research programming at these events.
· Support proposal development and represent Special Olympics to potential partners and steward relationships with current partners
To learn more, or to apply online, visit the Special Olympics website.
Angela Copeland is Founder and Coach for Copeland Coaching, a great way to jump start your job search. Follow her on Twitter @CopelandCoach for tips on finding the perfect job for you.