Preparing for a Career Fair
Career fairs are one of my favorite things. You read that right. I really love them. They make my heart pound. I fill with the excitement of possibilities.
A career fair can be a fantastic way to connect directly to the internal HR recruiters at your favorite companies. Worst case scenario, you’ve made new contacts that may not immediately go anywhere.
Best case, you start a chain of interviews that lead to a great new career.
Great news! There’s a fair that’s just around the corner for those in Memphis. The Multicultural Career Expo will be held on Sunday, April 12th. The event is from NOON to 5:00 PM at Hilton Memphis.
The career expo’s mission is to provide a comprehensive platform for all cultures to achieve their career goals and contribute to a greater Memphis. The event is co-hosted by founding organization ContigoCreative, Think Inspired, and Copeland Coaching.
Over 40 companies will be represented at the Multicultural Career Expo. There will also be a diverse group of industries there, including healthcare, financial services, travel, logistics, higher education, and non-profit.
The event is free and open to the public. Both full time job and internship seekers are encouraged to attend. To learn more, and to register online, visit the Multicultural Career Expo website at www.CareerExpoMemphis.com.
But, before attending the career expo, you’ll want to get ready. Here are tips to help you prepare:
- Your resume – Update your resume with your most recent experience, awards, and education. Print and bring many copies to give away to recruiters.
- Business cards – If you don’t have them already, now’s the time to order some. At a minimum, they should include your name, phone number, and e-mail address. For a quick turnaround, check with FedEx.com.
- Attire – Professional attire is your best bet at any career fair. Plan to wear a suit, and shine your shoes. Keep makeup, jewelry, and hairstyles to a minimum. You want to keep the attention on your skills, not your outfit.
- Perfect your pitch – Practice answering the question “tell me about yourself.” Be ready to talk about your professional strengths, and what you’re looking for. This is a critical part of success at the expo.
- Do your homework – Research the more than 40 companies that will attend the expo. Look for job openings, and come up with a game plan for the day of the event.
Also, be sure to subscribe to my Copeland Coaching Podcast on iTunes and Stitcher where I discuss career advice every Tuesday! If you’ve already heard the podcast and enjoy it, please consider leaving a review in iTunes or Stitcher.
Angela Copeland is Founder and Coach for Copeland Coaching, a great way to jump start your job search. Follow her on Twitter @CopelandCoach for tips on finding the perfect job for you.